From the Boreal to the Amazon with Love - facial toner and hair rinse supporting Amazon Watch
We have run out of stock for this item.
No es fuego, es capitalismo. It is not fire, it's capitalism.
The Amazon rainforest is the lungs of the Earth and it is currently being destroyed by massive agricultural corporations who refuse to acknowledge Brazilian court rulings in favour of the Indigenous communities who live there. These corporations have committed arson to deforest land largely for cattle ranching to meet the demand of global fast food chains. The Brazilian government has already expressed hatred for Indigenous communities, and support for unsustainable business, so it is doing absolutely nothing to stop the destruction. The circumstances are both genocide and environmental catastrophe.
With enough global pressure (i.e. boycott and divestment), the fires may be stopped. And, in the meantime, displaced communities need access to resources to protect themselves and their remaining land, and restore land, as quickly as possible.
100% of the selling price of this herbal blend made from carefully farmed and/or harvested leaves, flowers, and berries from the Boreal Forest region will be donated to Amazon Watch, a non-profit organization with a 20 year history of fighting the destruction of the Amazon by advancing Indigenous solutions for care of the land to support climate justice for all. Read more about their work here: https://amazonwatch.org/work
This herbal blend can be used as either a toner for most skin types, or a hair rinse for most hair types, although folks with chemically lightened hair are encouraged to strand test to determine suitability. Please note that this product may not be suitable for use during pregnancy/nursing - consult your health care provider for details.
The properties/benefits of each selected ingredient are as follows:
- Linden helps the skin fight inflammation and infections to soothe irritation and reduce puffiness, while its antioxidant properties mitigate the impact of environmental stress. It is also known to help cleanse the scalp, alleviate irritation, and promote circulation to stimulate hair growth.
- Hyssop is a powerhouse plant! It's antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties make it capable of caring for wounds such as frostbite and/or rashes caused by infections, while its cicatrisant properties helps skin heal from damage without scarring. On a more day-to-day basis, it can help to clean skin, minimize excess sebum, reduce enlarged pores and create a soft, smooth complexion. In hair care it can help to manage scalp conditions for healthier hair.
- Nettle is rich in phytonutrients, minerals, and antioxidants to promote clear skin and a healthy scalp with better cellular longevity. It is also said to have a stimulating effect by promoting circulation for better hair growth, as well as depositing pantothenic acid and silica to strengthen hair.
- Juniper berries are astringent, antimicrobial, and antifungal making them useful in toning skin and reducing the appearance of blemishes and/or eczema. In hair care it can help to strengthen hair, cleanse the scalp, restore a helpful balance of oil, and combat dandruff
- Cedar leaf oil can be used to care for a variety of skin issues ranging from acne to eczema to psoriasis to warts thanks to its reparative and astringent properties, and ability to minimize scars. The effects of cedar leaf are not as strong when brewed as tea, but it can still play a supportive role in overall health. Cedar has also been known to stimulate new hair growth and help to repair damaged hair follicles and shafts.
Click the "Directions" tab to see information on how to use this product for either a facial toner *or* hair rinse.
This preservative-free product lasts longer when exposure to the elements (i.e. air, humidity, sunlight) is kept to a minimum. Please store in a cool, dark place and keep tightly sealed between uses.
To give directly, please visit: https://amazonwatch.org. And, to learn about other ways you can help, check out this article titled "Worried about the Amazon fires? Stop appropriating our practices: Indigenous people are dying due to international consumerism." (https://medium.com/@cala_verita/worried-about-the-amazon-fires-stop-appropriating-our-practices-9d6a2d1f4da)
tillia cordata (linden) flower and leaf*, hyssopus officinalis (hyssop) flower and stem, urtica dioica (nettle) leaf*, juniperus communis (juniper) fruit, thuja occidentalis (cedar) leaf *
For facial toner: steep approximately 1 tbsp of dried herbal blend in a teapot or bowl with approximately 1/2 cup of boiling water for 10 minutes. Strain tea and pour it into a heatsafe bottle or jar to cool. When it is completely cool, after washing and drying your face, apply tea to skin with a cotton round as you would any other toner (tips on how to use toner most effectively can be found here https://justthegoods.net/pages/tips-for-daily-skin-care). Store remaining toner well sealed in your refrigerator for up to 5 days.
For hair rinse: steep tea as above and allow it to cool. Then, after shampooing, pour over hair in a method of your choosing to maximize contact with scalp and length of hair. Some people like to hold the length of their hair in the bowl of rinse for a few minutes, then pour the remaining amount over their scalp. Allow rinse to absorb into hair and scalp for 3 - 5 minutes before rinsing with water and styling as usual.
Each tin contains 25 g