The short answer: Just the Goods’ packaging does not contain Bisphenol-A (BPA)
The long answer: BPA is harmful chemical additive found in polycarbonate plastics to make them hard and durable, epoxy resins used to coat the inside of metal products such as food cans, Styrofoam packaging and clear plastics. BPA is in a category of chemicals known as endocrine-disruptors and exposure to it is linked to breast, prostate, and uterine cancer, decreased testosterone, Type II Diabetes, Attention Deficit Disorder, and other ailments affecting adults, children, infants and fetuses. Because BPA mimics the naturally occurring hormone estrogen, it can alter the normal function of genes and is linked to the early onset of puberty in girls, among other concerns including serious reproductive disorders. Over the past several decades, research has shown that BPA can seep into food, beverages, or cosmetics from containers are made with BPA, especially when those containers are heated.
There is, however, another class of plastic made from different, non-toxic components. High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) is one such plastic and is used specifically for consumables. It does not contain BPA. The easiest way to identify the type of plastic is to look for the recycling symbol and/or the alphabetic designation stamped on the bottom of the container. All of Just the Goods’ plastic bottles are made from “HDPE”.
Just the Goods also makes products available in:
- reusable glass canning jars (body butter, shaving cream, toothpaste)
- refillable glass bottles with polyethylene lined aluminum caps (PE is another plastic not known to leach any chemicals that are suspected of causing cancer or disrupting hormones) (hand and body lotion, mouthwash, herbal bath salts)
- refillable glass roll on bottles and vials (deodorant, perfume)
- reusable aluminum tins (body powder)
- recyclable HDPE tubes (lip balm)
- Recyclable HDPE sample cups (body butter, hand and body lotion)
- FDA and USDA compliant food grade plastic pouches (bath melts, bath salts, body scrub, tea)